With large customers all over the globe Dan-Web typically build “one-offs”, with the machines only sharing a 60% core; the remaining 40% of the machine is determined by the customer’s precise requirements. The most unique element of the Dan-Web machines is the company’s patented form header, which, coupled to many years of knowledge, delivers long life spans and high production figures in more than 100 plants over the world.
In a recent application for a new 18,580 m2 (200,000 ft2) air-laid material factory in the USA, Dan-Web was tasked with creating a new machine around 90 m long, 12 m high and 5 m wide – one of the biggest applications Dan-Web has built to date. In this instance, the customer, a global manufacturer of specialty papers and fibre-based engineered materials, wanted the new machine to connect seamlessly with the plant’s existing Allen-Bradley? automation and factory infrastructure, which meant Dan-Web turned to Rockwell Automation for its Integrated Architecture? control solution.
The biggest challenge in this particular project was all the TCP/IP connections, which required a lot of communication and meetings between Rockwell Automation and Dan-Web to determine the optimum layout for new the Ethernet network and its connection with the existing Ethernet infrastructure. With more than 400 TCP/IP connected devices and 200 safety connections, the IO count would influence the number of programmable automation controllers (PAC) used in the solution.